You could at least temporarily go to 'runtapes 2' in amanda.conf to make
more room in each run. If you can afford more tapes, using two a day might
help, or using two tape drives with chg-multi might be good too.

Lengthening the tapecycle is going to take a while (about two tapecycles,
I'm guessing) to level out as you would expect. It sounds like you need more
tape now, which a second tape and/or a second drive could do.

Also, rather than regenerating the disklist every night, you might not
confuse amanda as much if you simply checked the directory structure every
night, and warned when a disklist entry is close to the limit. This would
allow you to plan splits better, and having your disk list entries change
less often is a good thing if you have to restore.