This is just for the archives, so someone in the future can find the fix.
No need to respond.

> From: Daniel Lorenzini [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Check to see if any of your dumps is at level 9.  If so,
> force a level 0. This is a planner bug.

That turned out to be the problem.  I looked through my the daily email
reports from amanda, and found that in the DUMP SUMMARY that one disk had
been at level 9 for many days:

 HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
 -------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
 beowulf      -a/mm5/2002 9 42346884234688   --    4:4714754.8  14:564724.8

After issuing the following command,

 su amanda -c "amadmin Daily force beowulf /data/mm5/2002"

the next night amanda ran successfully.  I still have to work out the
problems associated with having too many disks to dump, but at least amanda
is running again.

Thanks to all those who responded and helped me wrangle with amanda!

Bart
--
Bart Brashers                   MFG Inc.
Air Quality Meteorologist       19203 36th Ave W Suite 101