On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 at 1:19pm, David Flood wrote

> I'm running:
> amanda 2.4.3b3
> Solaris 7
> Using tar
> I'm restore onto a 35/70 DLT with software compression.

Why is it always the Solaris machines that have speed issues?  (That was
rhetorical, btw).

> Does anyone have any ideas, because the estimates are taking so
> long the backups are still running when the users come in - in the
> morning. This means the backups I'm getting if I get them are 'dirty'
> not to mention it slows the system down as backups and users are
> trying to access the same data.

Search the archives for references to calcsize, an alternative estimator
with the disadvantage of not supporting excludes but the advantage of much
better speed.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering