On Mon, 13 May 2002, Anthony A. D. Talltree wrote:

> There's a lot to be said for printing tape labels or case inserts that
> document the contents of each tape -- or for printing each day's results
> and keeping them in a binder.

In my case this cannot be done: I have a mission critical server, with
thousand of small files and there is an ocean between my location and
server location. In case of a disaster I have to be able to restore a huge
directory tree with more than 10,000 files within minutes or hours at
most. With a paper list and tapes that I have to get a visa and fly a day
in order to touch them this is not an option.

As a workaround, I'm backing up all /var/lib/amanda/my_tapes on a diffrent
machine, but this is just an workaround. This is why I asked if baking up
index itself on the beginning of a tape so Amanda can use it as an
alternative it is planned as a future feature for Amanda, because in cases
when you need to restore everything in shortest time, this is really
usefull.

Ave,
  Socrate

--