I could be wrong here, but:
I think the part they want you to print is only an OVERVIEW --
which disk entry and what number file it is on the tape.
NOT a listing of individual files.

If your whole disk is bad,   you don't need an index very much --
you won't want to restore individual files.   You want to restore
the whole disk.   And therefore the short list   (just the disk names)
is useful.

If I'm hearing both sides aright .....    But I could be wrong!
Deb Baddorf

At 06:24 PM 5/14/2002 +0300, you wrote:
>On Mon, 13 May 2002, Anthony A. D. Talltree wrote:
>
> > There's a lot to be said for printing tape labels or case inserts that
> > document the contents of each tape -- or for printing each day's results
> > and keeping them in a binder.
>
>In my case this cannot be done: I have a mission critical server, with
>thousand of small files and there is an ocean between my location and
>server location. In case of a disaster I have to be able to restore a huge
>directory tree with more than 10,000 files within minutes or hours at
>most. With a paper list and tapes that I have to get a visa and fly a day
>in order to touch them this is not an option.

Deb Baddorf         [EMAIL PROTECTED]              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><