[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This linux-kernel mailing list posting has a short summary and
> interesting update on the issue (that I had not seen before, anyway).

I believe some of the problems with Linux ext2 dump can be avoided by using
Linux's Logical Volume Management and the snapshot capability.  However, I
don't know how stable that code is..

You need to have your system running LVM, but once it is, you can create a
snapshot partition.  The kernel stops any data from being written to the
normal partition and writes any changes to the smaller snapshot area.  The
filesystem can then be backed up, even while it appears to be in use.  Once
the backup completes, the snapshot data can be applied to the regular
partition..

I don't know how you'd get something like this to work in Amanda, though..
I suspect there needs to be some client-side scripting ability for it to
work properly.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management