On Mon, 20 May 2002, Brian Jonnes wrote:

> > dump reads on a lower level than tar, and is more sensitive when dumping
> > an active file system. Dumps may be rendered useless due to a file
> > changing underneath dump. If the system is placed in single user mode
> > there should be no problem. If the file system is quiet, there should be
> > close to no problems. The 'close' word makes most people switch to tar.
>
> This does not really make sense. Is "dump" not a standard utility? How do
> other Unices work? Dump can't be as simple as "cat /dev/hdX"... what do you
> mean by "low-level"? It must have its own file format, surely? Has anyone
> looked at the source-code, or should I do that to satisfy my curiosity?

dump and restore are the traditional Unix backup programs. They operate on
the drive as a collection of disk blocks, below the abstractions of files,
links and directories that are created by the filesystems. dump backs up
devices, entire filesystems, not parts of a filesystem and not directory
trees that span more than one filesystem, using either soft links or
mounting one filesystem onto another. dump does not write files and
directories to tape, but rather writes the data blocks that are the
building blocks of files and directories.

tar operates in cooperation with the filesystem; tar writes files and
directories to tape.

Which backup program is best? dump, says some people. Elizabeth D. Zwicky
torture tested lots of backup programs. The clear choice for preserving
all your data and all the peculiarities of Unix filesystems is dump, she
stated. Elizabeth created filesystems containing a large variety of
unusual conditions (and some not so unusual ones) and tested each program
by do a backup and restore of that filesystems. The peculiarities
included: files with holes, files with holes and a block of nulls, files
with funny characters in their names, unreadable and unwriteable files,
devices, files that change size during the backup, files that are
created/deleted during the backup and more. She presented the results at
LISA V in Oct. 1991.

I have used dump and was happy until I needed to split a large file
system. I then switched to tar. I'm still happy.

I can only repeat what has been said earlier: Test them both and choose
the one that works for you.

--
Ulrik Sandberg