Hi!

I am running amanda-2.4.2p2 succesfully with 2 hosts (1 server, 1
client). All disklist entries (level 0 dump) fit well on a DDS-4 40GB
using software compression (about 24 GB now).

I have only 4 tapes in use and momentarily just 2 (I am keeping 2 of them as
archival tapes as I am burning some of the data on CDs, and will
return them to the tapecycle as soon as they get done).

This is how I've set my conf file:

dumpcycle 7
runspercycle 2
tapecycle 2 tapes

Based on this I'd expected amanda to run just twice every 7 days.
However, amanda still runs everyday.
Is it possible to do this? (if i set a dumpcycle of 30 and
runspercycle of 1, would amanda run just once per month?)

I am currently forcing level 0 dumps in every run because otherwise
amanda would almost always overwrite the only level 0 dump for a
filesystem.

Since all lev > 0 dumps are only a few megabytes (< 100 MB), is it
possible to have amanda append these to the end of each tape, thus
leaving the level 0 dumps untouched?

Currently I have this problem because on weekends amanda would run
without being forced to do a lev 0 dump and thus would leave things in
the holding disk that need to be flushed on Monday. That day, I will
be left with only 1 level 0 dump in tape for each filesystem.

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

PS: I know that just getting more tapes would be the ideal solution,
but that is not economically possible in the short term. I'll
appreciate comments on how to make amanda run as tapewise as it can,
given my shortage of tape media.

--

|  F e r n a n   A g u e r o  |  B i o i n f o r m a t i c s  |
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |      genoma.unsam.edu.ar      |