+----[ Ben Kochie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) dijo sobre "Re: 2 tape strategy":

| you also need to update the cron entries so that it only runs on the days
| you want it to.. read the crontab man page, and run the apropriate crontab
| command for your system.  (i can't tell you any more, because you didn't
| say what OS and version you're running)
|
| -ben

Yes!

Thanks Ben ... I completely forgot about the cron job.

However, now my question is: how does the interaction of cron job and
dumpcycle/runspercycle work?

What is the meaning of runspercycle in amanda.conf if the
actual 'runs per cycle' are set through the cron job?

i.e. if i set a dumpcycle of 7 days (meaning I want at least 1 level 0
dump of each fs per week) and runspercycle to 1, I would expect to
have amanda run only once per week and do a full dump of every fs.
However if my cron job is set to run amcheck + amdump every day, I
suppose amanda will run daily (as it's happening now) and will try to
dump daily to tape. (Why doesn't amanda skip some days, even if called
from a cron job?).

Fernan

| On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Fernan Aguero wrote:
|
| > Hi!
| >
| > I am running amanda-2.4.2p2 succesfully with 2 hosts (1 server, 1
| > client). All disklist entries (level 0 dump) fit well on a DDS-4 40GB
| > using software compression (about 24 GB now).
| >
| > I have only 4 tapes in use and momentarily just 2 (I am keeping 2 of them as
| > archival tapes as I am burning some of the data on CDs, and will
| > return them to the tapecycle as soon as they get done).
| >
| > This is how I've set my conf file:
| >
| > dumpcycle 7
| > runspercycle 2
| > tapecycle 2 tapes
| >
| > Based on this I'd expected amanda to run just twice every 7 days.
| > However, amanda still runs everyday.
| > Is it possible to do this? (if i set a dumpcycle of 30 and
| > runspercycle of 1, would amanda run just once per month?)
| >
| > I am currently forcing level 0 dumps in every run because otherwise
| > amanda would almost always overwrite the only level 0 dump for a
| > filesystem.
| >
| > Since all lev > 0 dumps are only a few megabytes (< 100 MB), is it
| > possible to have amanda append these to the end of each tape, thus
| > leaving the level 0 dumps untouched?
| >
| > Currently I have this problem because on weekends amanda would run
| > without being forced to do a lev 0 dump and thus would leave things in
| > the holding disk that need to be flushed on Monday. That day, I will
| > be left with only 1 level 0 dump in tape for each filesystem.
| >
| > Thanks in advance,
| >
| > Fernan
| >
| > PS: I know that just getting more tapes would be the ideal solution,
| > but that is not economically possible in the short term. I'll
| > appreciate comments on how to make amanda run as tapewise as it can,
| > given my shortage of tape media.
| >
| > --

| > |  F e r n a n   A g u e r o  |  B i o i n f o r m a t i c s  |
| > |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |      genoma.unsam.edu.ar      |

+----]