check the other replies to your message.. some more detailed info is
included.

the dumpcycle/runspercycle is there to help the planner along.. nothing
more.. remember, the amanda planner is psudo-smart.. it tries to predict
which disk should get their full backups which days.

the cron job is there to just process a current dump.. allowing you to
decide exactly when dumps should occur, not allowing the planer to try and
figure it out for you.

-ben