On Tuesday 15 October 2002 05:03, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> On Monday 14 October 2002 04:56, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> >Yes, that's what I'm doing. The problem with this is that
>> > something easily gets left out as new directories are created.
>> >
>> >How about
>> >
>> >1. Allowing wildcards in the disklist file
>> >2. Having some kind of "auto expansion" mode, where a directory
>> > in the disklist file would be traversed recursively and
>> > replaced with its "leaf" or "level n" sub directories.
>>
>> I believe that one can use regex expressions to break it up
>> alphabeticly, like one entry to cover [a*-c*], the next for
>> [d*-g*] etc, but I've no idea of the exact syntax required as
>> I've never done that.
>
>That would certainly be useful in some cases, although I was
> thinking more along the lines of listing
>
>some-host /some-dir/* full-tar

The star isn't required.  I just name the subdir, as in '/usr/dlds'
A couple examples from my disklist:

coyote.coyote.den /usr/dlds root-tar 0
coyote.coyote.den /usr/etc root-tar 0

This idea could be extended to the third (or even deeper) directory
level if thats required to keep it inside a tapes size restraint.
The only caveat is that if done for one dir on a partition, it must
be done for all that you want to backup.  Leaving out a subdir in
that situation is the ultimate exclude method.

Doing a 'du .' while inside each will give you an idea of the raw
data's size there, but not of course how well it would compress.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M