I have a similiar or perhaps the same problem. After a reboot, Amanda emails backup summaries for about a day. After that it stops. If I manually run amcheck (provided there is a problem) after it stops, it sends an email but anything initiated by the cron does not.

Both root's and amanda's mailboxs are empty.

I'm running RH7.3.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Kanwar:

Check the contents of your root user's mailbox on this system. If cron is not completely configured to send e-mails to the accounts which run the cron commands, then the e-mails from cron have probably ended up in the root mailbox. Anything sent to standard out/error from a cron process will be mailed somewhere, unless that functionality is disabled.

I am more used to individual crontab files, which gives cron the best
clue as to which user ID receives the e-mailed output, but that should
also work here (although I have no experience with the version of cron
that you are using). Start out with a simple "Hello, world" type of cron entry and track down the output from there.

Run something like the following for a few minutes to track down the processes and where they lead. It will give you more insight into
how e-mail from cron is handled.

* * * * *       amanda  echo "Hello World" && sleep 45 && echo "Hello,
Again"

Then, do a ps command to find the pipeline:
        ps -fea |grep "Hello"

Then, run lsof on the processes you found to see where all the file connections go
lsof -p <process ID1> -p <process ID2> ...

Hope this helps,

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey