On 2007-02-12 11:02, Sascha wrote:
> no, thats what i get:
>
> $ cd /
> $ sudo amrecover daily
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.4. ...
> 200 Disk set to /.
> amrecover> cd home/sascha
> /home/luser/nobelprizedata
> amrecover> ls
> 2005-04-01 .
> 2005-04-01 test1
> 2005-04-01 test2
> 2005-04-01 test3
> amrecover> add .
> amrecover> extract
> [...Load tape etc. etc....]
> tar: deleting file ./test1
> tar: deleting file ./test2
> tar: deleting file ./test3
> amrecover> exit
> $ ls
> .
> ..

I gues the above is not really the exact sequence:
First you do "cd /", and when when finished, you do "ls", (not "ls -a"),
and that output shows only "." and "..".  Very strange.

It is really difficult to diagnose problems for someone else, when
you can see at first sight that not all information is given...

One of those details that is missing is:   "...Load tape etc. etc...."

Questions:

Did you load the correct tape? Do you have "amrecover_check_label yes"?
(if not, and you did not give it the correct tape, then tar will erase
the files, if those files are not in the backup on that tape.)

Did you restore into a temporary directory, that did not contain
any files at all?  Is it also "deleting" the files there?

Did you try using amrestore instead of amrecover, and does tar delete
the files too?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]