On Friday 13 November 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@verizon.net>
wrote:
>> tpchanger       "chg-disk"      # deprecated, use amanda_changer now.
>> #amanda_changer "chg-disk"
>>
>> It seems to be working, but I wonder when it was that I added that
>> comment? Which is it supposed to be for future compatibility?
>
>Check amanda.conf(5) -- they're two completely different config parameters.
>
>Dustin

Maybe, but there is nowhere near enough info in that to allow the un-assisted
configuration of all that "define amanda_changer {}".  I saw someplace where
I should create a set of slot# directories in the /usr/local/var/amanda tree,
but there are none, its never been setup.  My man-pages, installed with the
2.6.2-20091112 snapshot yesterday, are apparently _way_ behind in terms of
tutorial value.   And yet its working.  Where are the docs to let us take
advantage of these new features.

If this needs to be configured, it would be very very nice if amcheck nagged
us about it.  As it is, it reports no errors.  Except after changing runtapes
from 1 to 3 for tonight's run, I get this:
-----------------------
[ama...@coyote example]$ amcheck Daily
"/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf", line 107: configuration keyword
expected
amcheck: errors processing config file
Ok, line 107:
runtapes3
Hummm, where the heck did the space go?  Put it back in...
======================================
[ama...@coyote example]$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 87150592 kB disk space available, using 86638592 kB
stage 1: search for oldest reusable volume
oldest reusable volume is 'Dailys-29'
changer is not fast-searchable; skipping to stage 2
stage 2: scan for any reusable volume
trying slot 28
Volume with label 'Dailys-28' is still active and cannot be overwritten
trying slot 29
Will write to volume 'Dailys-29' in slot 29.
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Server check took 1.767 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 1.588 seconds.  0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.6.2alpha)
[ama...@coyote example]$
=======================================

As can be seen, no nagging.  Unless this is what causes the "changer not
fast- searchable" notice.

Please excuse my bad mood, I am about to go to the funeral home & stare at
the urn a long time employee named Doug Butcher's ashes are in for several
hours & make small talk with all his friends & then head for the Moose at
about 6Pm for a Broken Circle ceremony & finger food there.  He made it to
44.  Working for us at WDTV was pretty close to the only job he ever had.

His whole family has a history of shortened lives, his only sibling, younger
sister Letha has been gone for about 8 years already.  Both his parents
passed in their early 40's too, heart failure too.  Even pacemakers didn't
help extend him much, although he was implanted about 6 years ago so maybe he
got some free time.  Neither Letha nor Doug had any progeny or "partners".

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Fraud is the homage that force pays to reason.
                -- Charles Curtis, "A Commonplace Book"