On Friday 13 November 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Explain why my amanda.config says the option I'm using is deprecated?
>
>That's not in the example configurations, so I assume that you wrote
>it.  A google for the phrase "use amanda_changer now" only turns up
>references to this thread.
>
>Also, it says that tpchanger is deprecated and to use amanda_changer
>instead, which is flagrantly incorrect - the two are completely
>unrelated.  So if someone told you that they should be chided
>vigorously.
>
>Dustin

Ok, I now see where I saw the mention of it, in the new example/amanda.conf,
it says:
======================
tapedev "tape:/dev/YOUR-TAPE-DEVICE-HERE"       # tape changer or device to
use

# To use vtapes, create some slotN directories (slot0, slot1, etc.) under
# /var/amanda/vtapes and use this tapedev:
## tapedev "chg-disk:/var/amanda/vtapes"
======================

Now, I can do the above, and I also assume I can move them to
/usr.local/var/amanda, (and that this does not effect my present location for
the vtapes themselves, which is a separate 1 terrabyte drive mounted to
/amandatapes, ) where amanda keeps some other records also, but then what do
I do with the tpchanger setting?  You say its unrelated?  It is not used in
the new amanda.conf except inside a definition, but mine is not inside a
define {}.

That original advice did come from this list, but my corpus of old messages
doesn't reach back that far as it was at least a year ago, maybe even 2.

No actions are planned yet tonight though.

Thanks Dustin.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.
                -- Rob Pike