Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Amanda users,
>
> The backup of this particular DLE is pretty much hit or miss,
> it'll run great for a week and then fail for a week, I haven't
> been able to disern a pattern nor reason.
>
> The amanda server is old, 2.4.4 on a Solaris/Sparc system,
> the newest client is a Solaris/x86 with a current version
> 2.6.1 of amanda.
>
> The client "sc1" backs up up fine, we backup the "ldom" logical
> domain separately since it lives on a ZFS partition that is not
> available to the underlying OS.
>
> Because of the size of the dorldom1z1 partition, which is a
> non-global zone running oracle, we back it up separately from
> the other non-global zones, which run other, lighter apps.
>
> The base system "sc1" backups up fine, the ldom and 3 of the 4
> non-global zones backup without error, its just this one additional
> non-global zone that has been problematic.
>
> We are in process of upgrading the amanda server, but that will
> come along with an upgrade of the box it sits on, a fire wall
> we plan to replace.
>
>                                               thank you,
>
>                                               Brian
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Amanda on Gat0 <ama...@wadsworth.org> -----

> These dumps were to tape MIMOSA15.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: MIMOSA16.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   dorldom1   /export/zones/dorldom1z1 lev 0 FAILED [mesg read: Connection
> timed out]
>

> STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:03
> Run Time (hrs:min)         2:13
> Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
> Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
> Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
> Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
>   MIMOSA15       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
>

> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- dorldom1   /export/zones/dorldom1z1 lev 0 FAILED [mesg read: Connection
> timed out]
> sendbackup: start [dorldom1:/export/zones/dorldom1z1 level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/sfw/bin/gtar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/usr/sfw/bin/gtar -xpGf - ...
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> ? /usr/sfw/bin/gtar: ./root/proc: file changed as we read it
> \--------
>

> NOTES:
>   planner: Forcing full dump of dorldom1:/export/zones/dorldom1z1 as directed.
> [...]

You're probably on the edge of either the estimate or data timeout
values (etimeout or dtimeout).  You could try increasing those
values.  I'm not familiar with Solaris zones, but if ./root/proc
is really the proc filesystem, you should exclude that from
your backup as it can be quite a rabbit hole. Try  using an
exclude file or exclude list to exclude ./root/proc and see if
that speeds things up.

--
Frank Smith                                      fsm...@hoovers.com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673