I am strugling to get something working here. I have a configuration where
I use a combnation of vtapes, and a tape drive ti provide RAIT.

At the moment, when I run "amtape CONF slot 5" I seem to have slot 5
slected, but when I run "ammtape CONF taper" it seems to think that the
next "slot" is slot 4.

After running the slot command Here is what is in  changer-status:

# multi-changer state cache: DO NOT EDIT!
curslot 5
curloaded 1

For what it's worth, the machine crashed last night during a run. I have
donw an amcleanup.  Is there someplace else thta has knowledge of the
current "slot"?