Rory,

I may be wrong, nor my information obsolete for your tapedevice
but I seem to recall that if you want to actually turn off compression
you have to also relabel the tape. If it sees the amlabel was
written in compessed mode...

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:21:32PM -0500, rory_f wrote:

> Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM, rory_f <amanda-forum < at >
> > backupcentral.com> wrote:
> >
> > > i'm doing a tape run now, using the original tapetype definition, and it
> > > has filled a tape to around 238gb and moved onto the next one (well it
> > > has changed tapes,it's still waiting to write to tape)
> > >
> > > is this normal?
> > >

> > Amanda treats any error from the tape drive as EOT.  It's the nature
> > of UNIX kernel drivers that they don't give much more information than
> > that.  So it's quite possible that your tape drive is failing, or the
> > tapes are failing, and intermittent errors are causing the early EOT
> > indication.
> >
> > Alternately, maybe the earlier amtapetype run was made with hardware
> > compression on?  The size is about double..
> >
> > Dustin
> >
> > --
> > Open Source Storage Engineer
> > http://www.zmanda.com
>

> I made sure to turn compression off and also the output of the tapetype
> didn't mention compression was on - it normally does if it detects
> compression, right?
>
> Perhaps compression is turned on elsewhere - im not sure where though. So you
> think what is happening is the kernel thinks these tapes are only 200~gb and
> giving an EOT to amanda - when infact they are 400gb LTO3 tapes.
>
> I doubt the tapes are failing - but i mean it is possible, i've used the same
> type of tapes for over 400 tapes with amanda and never seen this issue.
>
> I'm guessing then it's the drive itself.. there's no real way to tell. This
> is our second tape drive, the one we have used more consistantly with Amanda
> is out being replaced as it died, too :/
>
> I'll run a amtapetype again to make sure, i guess.

> |This was sent by r...@mrxfx.com via Backup Central.
> |Forward SPAM to ab...@backupcentral.com.

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.