Gene,

I had no idea it was that difficult to reset.

I apologize if I left the impression that I thought it
was an amanda issue, I was sure it was in the HW and
the driver, but I didn't express.

In truth I seldom touch a drive for other amanda amanda
related work, only when assisting an end-user backing up
their own data or installing a new drive for an end-user use.

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:30:43PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
> >but I seem to recall that if you want to actually turn off compression
> >you have to also relabel the tape. If it sees the amlabel was
> >written in compessed mode...
> >
> Yes, back when I was using tape, that was a major problem, so much so that I
> finally read the first block of a new, but labeled, uncompressed tape, then
> used dd to write that first block to every tape on the premises, then
> forcibly relabeled them for my system.  A certified PIMA...  Then I bought
> another case of tape from ebay,  they looked new, cello wrap & the whole
> maryann, but they weren't, and the whole scene had to be repeated, its a
> darned virus I think.
>
> This BTW, is not an amanda problem, its 100% the drive, it reads its own
> hidden header data while 'recognizing' or 'accepting' the tape, and sets the
> compression according to what it finds.  So that gets reset to match the tape
> any time you do a rewind, so you must do the rewind, and THEN issue the
> compression off command, through mtx I think it was, and then, without
> accessing the drive, write the uncompressed first block.  Never give it a
> chance to re-read that block until its done writing the new one..

> >> I made sure to turn compression off and also the output of the tapetype
> >> didn't mention compression was on - it normally does if it detects
> >> compression, right?
> >>
> >> Perhaps compression is turned on elsewhere - im not sure where though. So
> >> you think what is happening is the kernel thinks these tapes are only
> >> 200~gb and giving an EOT to amanda - when infact they are 400gb LTO3
> >> tapes.
> >>
> >> I doubt the tapes are failing - but i mean it is possible, i've used the
> >> same type of tapes for over 400 tapes with amanda and never seen this
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> I'm guessing then it's the drive itself.. there's no real way to tell.
> >> This is our second tape drive, the one we have used more consistantly
> >> with Amanda is out being replaced as it died, too :/
> >>
> >> I'll run a amtapetype again to make sure, i guess.
> >>
> >> +----------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> +----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >---
> >   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org
> >   Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
> >   Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
> >   NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773
> >

> >IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
> >confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
> >privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
> >is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
> >from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
> >distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
> >sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your

---