On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 07:13:25AM -0400, Giel wrote:

> Hi
> I testing amanda 3.1.0beta1 on ubuntu server 8.04LTS. I don't have problem
> with small volumes but I can't get working big ones. I have SUN x4240  with
> 1.3T raid 6 volume disigned to be holding area. My weekly data to backup is
> ~10Tb. I have NEO LTO4 library with two tape drives.
> As I understand each DLE is done in turn. send from client to server to
> holding area and written to tape.

Not necessarily "in turn", but several could be running at the same
time depending on several config parameters.  For example, you allow
a max of 10 DLE's to be backing up at the same time with "inparallel 10".

> with existing configuration:
> I get
> FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   test.testbackup /data/data3 lev 0  FAILED [Not enough holding disk space]

It would have been informative to see how big the estimated size
of the backup would have been from the report or the *.debug files.

> Could you check my config I suggest changes. In order to work efficiently
> with a such big volumes.  Thanks
>

> > org "Test DailySet1" # your organization name for reports
> > mailer "/usr/bin/mail"
> > mailto "t...@test" # space separated list of operators at your site
> > send-amreport-on all
> > dumpuser "amandabackup"
> >
> > tapetype "DIL" # what kind of tape it is
> >
> > dumpcycle 7 days # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> > runspercycle 5 days # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
> > tapecycle 15 # the number of tapes in rotation
> > usetimestamps yes
> > runtapes 10 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump

Potential danger here in number of tapes available.
One run can use up to 10 tapes, one cycle up to 50 tapes,
yet you only have 15 tapes in use.

Perhaps you don't expect to use 10/run, but even at 2 per run
you barely have enough for a single cycle.  I fear you are going
to be overwriting the only copy of needed data.

> > maxdumpsize 10000gb
> >
> > labelstr "^DL[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][A-Z][0-9]*$" # label constraint regex:
> > all tapes must match
> >

> > diskfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist"
> > infofile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo"
> > logdir "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/logs"
> > indexdir "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/index"
> > tapelist "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist"
> >
> > dtimeout 43200
> > ctimeout 60
> > etimeout 43200
> > inparallel 10
> > dumporder "sssS"
> > taperalgo first
> > displayunit "g"
> > netusage 1 gbps
> > maxdumps 1
> > bumpsize 20m
> > bumppercent 20
> > bumpdays 1 day
> > amrecover_changer "changer"
> > device_output_buffer_size 1280k
> > reserve 20
> > autoflush on
> > amrecover_do_fsf on
> > amrecover_check_label on
> > flush-threshold-dumped 25
> > flush-threshold-scheduled 25
> > taperflush 1
> >
> > holdingdisk dataPool {
> > comment "Main holding area"
> > directory "/dataPool/amandapool"
> > use 1000Gb

It is common to limit a holding disk's usage of available space.
But it sounded like this 1.3TB raid was dedicated.  Why not use
it all.

Regardless, you are only allowing 1TB to be used.  Are any of
your DLE's bigger than 1TB?  They won't be able to use the HD.
Are backups of several DLE being started and each reserving
the space it needs thereby running the HD out of available
space to reserve?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing