On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Douglas K. Rand
<r...@meridian-enviro.com> wrote:
> This sounds great. Might this also support the ability to have multiple
> changers active at the same time? As our backup sizes have grown we've
> thrown more tapes at the problem recently rather than increase the
> capacity of the tapes. (Yes, this is a loosing proposition, but it is
> where we are right now.) We have two changers full of tapes, and it
> would be breat if a single amdump run could handle both changers at
> the same time.

This particular patch does not address this issue - but it's a good issue!

It's not clear exactly how we'd model this.  One model is to assign
each scribe to its own changer, with the result that one scribe may
run out of tapes while another has a whole library full of inactive
media.  Another model is to create an "aggregate changer" from which
all of the scribes operate -- basically emulating one large changer
that is the combination of all of the real changers.  This, of course,
introduces complexities in that a tape in one changer can't be loaded
into a drive in another changer.

Any thoughts?

> But it will still be realy nice to be able to write to multiple drives
> in a single changer at the same time. Handling multiple changers would
> just be some extra icing.

I'm glad this is an improvement, then!

Dustin

--