On 9/17/10 4:40 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger<s...@amanda.org>  wrote:
And as a bonus: the possibility to get these warnings to another
mail-address than the usual reports.
There have been a number of notification-related nitpicks so far.
While they're good ideas, I don't want to re-implement monitoring and
notification systems in Amanda.  Are there projects out there that you
think would work well with Amanda, if we could build some interfaces,
to do this sort of notification?  So far, I have:

  - tape-monkey emails (just the "next tape" message from amreport)
  - pager-friendly amcheck reports
  - trending-based warning notifications

If we could make this info available to a monitoring framework (or
several..), then these sorts of emails would be much easier to
produce.

I know there is a basic NAGIOS interface.  Are there other ideas?

Amreport has an --xml output mode, although it's not tested at all so
currently YMMV.  But that might be a nice way to start to export
status data from Amanda into a tool designed for monitoring and
notification.

If anyone wants to look at these things, consideration should also be given to mon: https://mon.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page. It is much lower profile. It has a plugin architecture. You just have to program a "monitor" in your language of choice (typically perl). Mon will schedule it and connect it with whatever alert mechanism you want. The core code is in C.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4