Nothing strickes me as wrong with your new config but...

I'm sorry, I can't actually comment on spanning, never
configured it on any of my amanda servers.

Just for the sake of argument I'm going to include an
extract of my disklist file.

Originally we backed up a 1Tbyte drive, this was impractical,
as much for wall clock time as for any other reason.

Because we are no longer backing up the 'partition' we can't
use dump, the DLE specifies tar. I broke the partition into
two main pieces, with planning and a little luck the directories
that being with letters [A-Q] will contain about the same amount
of data as the directories beginning R to Z.

Because _users_ have access on this file system to create new
directories at will I also included a DLE that would pick up
any directories or files beginning with lower-case letters.
These I allow to backup all at once since there currently
aren't any. ie, avoid missing them by oversight.

trel   /Users       comp-user-tar
#trel   /trel        user-tar
trel   /trelAQ /trel   {
        comp-server-user-tar
        include "./[A-Q]*"
        }

trel   /trelRZ /trel   {
        comp-server-user-tar
        include "./[R-Z]*"
        }

trel   /trelaz /trel   {
        user-tar
        include "./[a-z]*"
        }

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:37:31AM -0500, upengan78 wrote:
> I have made some changed to amanda.conf. First I have changed disk size to
> 10GB, then number of Vtapes/slots = 29 and also added runtapes = 6
>
> My amanda.conf
>
> dumpcycle 7
> runspercycle 7
> tapecycle 29
> runtapes 6
> dumpuser "amanda"
> tpchanger "chg-disk"                            # a virtual tape changer
> tapedev "file:/random/amanda/vtapes/test/slots"
> changerfile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/changerfile"
> labelstr "TEST-.*"
> #label_new_tapes "TEST-%%"
> #autolabel "TEST-%%"
> tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK
> logdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test"
> infofile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/curinfo"
> indexdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/index"
> tapelist "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/tapelist"
> #etimeout 600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> etimeout 3600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> #etimeout -600   # total number of seconds for estimates.
> # a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
> # each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.
> # The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.
> #dtimeout 1800    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> dtimeout 3600    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> ctimeout 30      # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
>                  # for each client host
>

> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     directory "/another drive/amanda/amandahold/test"
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-tar {
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     compress fast
>     index yes
>     record yes  # Important! avoid interfering with production runs
> }
>
> define tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK {
>     filemark 1 KB
>     length 10240 MB
> }
>
> I am still confused about spanning because
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_Dumps_Across_Tapes mentions
> that spanning is automatically enabled in Vtapes. Now is that for specific
> version that means or all versions and is there any command to verify if it
> is enabled or not? Copying the relevent portion from wiki below.
>
> Disk Backups (Vtapes)
>
> For vtapes, spanning is automatically enabled, as the VFS device supports
> LEOM. You can add a part_size if you'd like to split dumps into smaller
> parts; otherwise, Amanda will just fill each vtape with a single part before
> moving on to the next vtape.
>
> Thanks for continuing to help guys. Appreciate it and it is wonderful to see
> how much deep knowledge people have about backups and sharing it happily.
> And, I do understand there has to be offsite storage as I know pipes can
> burst and it has happened before. These things I plan to consider once I am
> [...]
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.