OK...I see that as documented here:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:Why_does_Amanda_not_append_to_a_tape%3F

This would seem to allow full tape utilization without having to resort to
vtapes...I'm pretty sure I was already doing this and it didn't work
reliably...will try again.

As I understand it, it would seem that the holding disk needs to be *slightly*
larger than the largest "tape" you are going to write to. I would also seem
that setting your backup files size to something pretty granular (e.g. 1GB, 5GB
or at most 10GB) would also help ensure you make full use of a "tape".

Now I've got a MASSIVE amount of IO capacity (300MB/s for the holding disk) and
since each "tape" is connected via its own dedicated SAS/SATA port I've got
about 100MB/s for as many tapes as I load at the same time (e.g. if I load 5 I
could be writing as much as 500MB/s)...of course this means I have to split all
of the source disks I'm backup up from across multiple Amanda configs, right?

But then that complicates things, I presume I need a dedicated holding disk for
each config? or can multiple configs share the same holding disk?

If the former, then I presume what I really want is holding disks like this:

drive 1 - 2TB - holding1 (DailySet1)
drive 2 - 2TB - holding2 (DailySet2)
drive 3 - 2TB - holding3 (DailySet3)
drive 4 - 2TB - holding4 (DailySet4)

But now I'm confused...if I have all my flush params set to 100% and my holding
disk EQUALS the size of a backup "tape", how am I ever going to reach the 100%
threshold (would seem I would always be short by a few GBs)???

Perhaps I should go back to a stripped holding disk and carve out multiple
holding disks inside that and essentially oversubscribe the strip a bit, for
example:

Stripe (drive1, drive2, drive3) - 6TB total
/hold/hold1 - config in amanda as 2.1TB
/hold/hold2 - 2.1TB
/hold/hold3 - 2.1TB
/hold/hold4 - 2.1TB

...or something like that...not sure if I can get away with oversubscribing the
Stripe that much...if not I think 4 2TB drives would work fine.

This would allow any holding disk to easily grow to 2.0TB and thus fill a 2TB
(or 1.5TB) "tape" fully...yes/no?