I am trying to determine what tape order amanda uses when requesting a reuse
tape.

My amanda.conf is configured to use slots 31-36 for my archive tapes. These
slots contain the following tapes.

      Storage Element 31:Full :VolumeTag=A00224L2
      Storage Element 32:Full :VolumeTag=A00225L2
      Storage Element 33:Full :VolumeTag=A00226L2
      Storage Element 34:Full :VolumeTag=A00221L2
      Storage Element 35:Full :VolumeTag=A00222L2
      Storage Element 36:Full :VolumeTag=A00223L2

When I run "amadmin archive tape" I get this order list.

        % amadmin archive tape
        The next Amanda run should go onto 6 new tapes.
        The next 6 new tapes already labelled are: A00221, A00222, A00224,
A00225, A00226, A00223

When I run "amcheck -s archive" I get the following:

        % amcheck -s archive
        Amanda Tape Server Host Check
        -----------------------------
        Holding disk /zvol/amanda/holdingdisk/archive: 1918267 MB disk space
available, using 921600 MB as requested
        slot ?: slot 13 not in use-slots (31-36)
        slot 31: volume 'A00224'
        Will write to volume 'A00224' in slot 31.
        NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
        Server check took 42.518 seconds

For my archive run slot 31 is the first slot used by my archive run that has a
reuse tape.

I would really like to have my archive tape in the sequential order such as
A00221, A00222, A00224, A00225, A00226, A00223, but amcheck tell me that it
will start with what every tape is in slot 31, which happens to be A00224 and
will use tapes in slot 31-36.

Why the difference between the two command.?

Other than moving my tapes around so that A00221 is in slot 31 and A00222 is in
slot 32 and so on is there any other way to get the order I am after.

I realize that tape order in a library does not really mean much but my archive
tapes are removed and stored outside and I would like to have the archive run
on tapes in a more human readable sequence.

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                    EMAIL: rmcg...@purdue.edu
Purdue University                            ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                   PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067