Michael,

Look at the amgtar man page if you are using amgtar:

Similarly, include expressions are supplied to GNU-tar's --files-from option. This option ordinarily does not accept any sort of wildcards,
       but amgtar "manually" applies glob pattern matching to include
expressions with only one slash. The expressions must still begin with
       "./", so this effectively only allows expressions like "./[abc]*" or

Jean-Louis