For the sake of anyone following this thread in the future, some replies to
my last post:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Michael Stauffer <mgsta...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Jean-Lous.
>
> In my dumptype I have
>
>           program "GNUTAR"
>
> but I don't know if this always means 'gtar' or if it's defined somewhere.
> I can't find a define for it.
>
> However, other 'include' expressions seem to be globbing correclty, even
> though the amgtar docs says gtar won't normal accept them. e.g. this
> expression is working:
>
>      include "./[f-i]*"
>
> So maybe GNUTAR is defined to use amgtar?

I haven't figured this out for sure, but based on the behavior of amdump
with the dumptype using 'program "GNUTAR"', yes, this means amdump is using
amgtar.

> Assuming I'm using amgtar, then it seems since it only manually globs
> expressions with a single forward slash, I should change my DLE to this,
> which includes the sub-dir in the DLE diskdevice:
>
> cfile.uphs.upenn.edu jet-grosspeople-h-z /jet/grosspeople {
>    gui-base
>    include "./[h-zH-Z]*"
>    exclude "./Volumetric"
>    }
>
> Does that seem right?

Yes, this works, i.e. when the DLE path itself references the sub-dir I'm
trying to break into smaller DLE's. This is consistent with the amgtar
documentation's explanation of processing only 'include' directives with a
single forward-slash.

> Regarding the related globbing issue:
>
> As an aside (or possibly related?) the case-sensitivity of globbing on my
>> client is not behaving how I'd expect. e.g. 'echo [a-c]*' includes files
>> that start with capital A-B, which I don't expect. Files starting with C
>> are *not* listed. My shell option nocaseglob is off, and I've tried setting
>> and unsetting it just to test. Nothing changes. I'll post about this last
>> bit to another list too.
>

> It seems that with shift to unicode years ago, the sorting order doesn't
> follow ascii order by default anymore.
>
> If I add 'export LC_COLLATE=C' to my shell, then 'echo [a-c]*' behaves as
> expected. Assuming that amgtar uses shell globbing to do its manually
> globbing of 'include' expressions, and since gtar seems to use shell
> globbing on its own for 'exclude' expressions, I figure I should add
> 'export LC_COLLATE=C' to my amandabackup profiles. It seems also that for
> 'exclude' expressions, I could use  '[[:lower:]]' to indicate lower case,
> e.g. But then that wouldn't work for 'include' expressions b/c of amgtar's
> manual globbing.

This is working for me. i.e. globbing of ranges of characters within DLE's
follows older ascii-centric rules after setting LC_COLLATE=C.

-M