On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 05:48:07PM +0000, Debra S Baddorf wrote:
> Expounding on Jon’s ideas:   how about,  after all the backups are done and
> finished for the day.
> Then,  I run another job
> amdump <config>  —no-taper   <dumphost>  <all-its-DLEs>
>
> This would leave them sitting on the holding disk,  waiting for tonight’s
> backup job.   In fact,  I’ll do that right now, manually.
> Tonight,  I’ll see if they happen to flush to tape  first.   They might not,
> since I’ve got  “pick biggest file”  as my taperalgo .
> But it’s an interesting experiment.
>
> Deb Baddorf
> Fermilab

Would you need to do a level 0 to make the amanda data worthwhile?

IIRC, the taperalgo is in effect when multiple DLE's are available
for flushing.  So if it(they) is(are) the only one(s) available ...

You may want to check your settings for autoflush and flush-threshold-*.
The first says whether stuff on the holding disk should be flushed
with the amdump run and the latter says how much data must be available
before starting taping of a new tape.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)