On Dec 17, 2014, at 12:18 PM, Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 05:48:07PM +0000, Debra S Baddorf wrote:
>> Expounding on Jon’s ideas:   how about,  after all the backups are done and
>> finished for the day.
>> Then,  I run another job
>> amdump <config>  —no-taper   <dumphost>  <all-its-DLEs>
>>
>> This would leave them sitting on the holding disk,  waiting for tonight’s
>> backup job.   In fact,  I’ll do that right now, manually.
>> Tonight,  I’ll see if they happen to flush to tape  first.   They might not,
>>  since I’ve got  “pick biggest file”  as my taperalgo .
>> But it’s an interesting experiment.
>>
>> Deb Baddorf
>> Fermilab
>>

> Would you need to do a level 0 to make the amanda data worthwhile?

Good point.  Maybe yes.  The point is that I would want the amanda log files
the most,   so I know where data is on my tapes.
I could recreate the boot disks from source  but I’d prefer not to do, in a
hurry — so I’d best have boot disks there, too,
so yes, let’s force those to level 0 too.

> IIRC, the taperalgo is in effect when multiple DLE's are available
> for flushing.  So if it(they) is(are) the only one(s) available ...
>
> You may want to check your settings for autoflush and flush-threshold-*.
> The first says whether stuff on the holding disk should be flushed
> with the amdump run and the latter says how much data must be available
> before starting taping of a new tape.

I’m pretty sure my flush-threshold-*  are already set to  “always flush every
last bit”;
don’t save stuff on the holding disk, don't be frugal with tapes.  And
autoflush  is set
to “all”.   Good point.

Ok —   let’s run another  —no-taper dump of the one DLE  that wasn’t already
done at level 0.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab