On Monday 01 May 2017 19:27:04 Debra S Baddorf wrote:

> Jean-Louis — do you know if one can use the newer versions of tar to
> recover stuff that was backed up using these “bad” versions of tar?
> Or does the recording version have to be newer too?
>
> (I.e.  maybe Gene could still test using his existing backups.   And
> this would mean that older backups aren’t worthless. )

I suspect they are junk Deb.  A 2 week old level0 of /home is 1157 megs.
The du -h report says 99 gigs.  No compressor I know about is _that_
good.  Its also the reason that when I experimentally descended one
level at a time, I didn't get anything after that one level down, in
either /etc/apache2, or in /var/www, adding html didn't get any html
content even with the html/* as the add.  So the meat and potatoes of
the real data is not there.  Give me a few days and I'd say that a df of
amandatapes, a 1 terabyte drive, will be full. Its 74% right now.  I'll
go raise the vtape size 15Gb right now, and add a day to the cycle.  And
watch the df report. I've been considering ordering up a newer, bigger
disk, perhaps this will make me drop the card.

Give me a few days to sort this, but I suspect I'll be filing a heated
buig report with debian over this.

> Deb Baddorf
>
> > On May 1, 2017, at 6:02 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 01 May 2017 16:37:11 Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> >> Gene,
> >>
> >> Which version of tar are you using?
> >
> > 1.27.1
> >
> >> Read the thread at
> >> https://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users@amanda.org/msg48929.html
> >>
> >> Jean-Louis
> >
> > Says 1.29 fixes this.
> >
> > I'll have to build it from the tarball, 1.27.1 is the newest in the
> > wheezy repo's.
> >
> > Done, and amcheck seems happy, now we'll see if it runs ok tonight.
> >
> > Thanks Jean-Louis.

> >> This message is the property of CARBONITE, INC. and may contain
> >> confidential or privileged information. If this message has been
> >> delivered to you by mistake, then do not copy or deliver this
> >> message to anyone.  Instead, destroy it and notify me by reply
> >> e-mail
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)