On Sunday 20 May 2018 16:09:37 Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 04:47:36AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 May 2018 02:55:31 Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > > I have one system that will be down for an unknown time.
> > >
> > > How best to stop amanda from trying, and failing, to
> > > back up the DLEs of that system.  Is it as simple as
> > > commenting out the DLEs?  Then if I do need to recover,
> > > or it comes back on line, uncomment the entries?
> >
> > Thats how I've been doing it for decades.
>
> Me too, though that has typically been for fairly short
> times.  At least short relative to my tape cycle.
>
> I'm going to have to look at some of those "new-fangled"
> amanda commands like amvault or am??? and see if I can
> save about the last months' worth of dumps from that
> system.  Maybe store it in some separate data structure
> than my current vtape collection.  Then it would not
> matter if they get overwritten.
>
> Suggestions?

Not really Jon. My tape cycle is 30, dumpcycle is 7 days, and if I don't
find I need it again in that time frame, and the last copy gets
overwritten, I might be a bit piffed, but I can likely, if is really
important, write another, probably better version.

So I don't really have any better ideas short of setting up a weekly full
backup of everything, and stashing it on a bigger drive for off site
storage. I may regret not doing it at some point, but its still here on
the main drive.  And if I do an updated install, its always to a new
drive while this one becomes sdc or sdd so I copy back the important
stuff.

I wish I did have some good suggestions, you've helped me a lot over the
last 20 years, and I'm grateful for that. Thank you.