On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 16:27:29 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2018 15:31:59 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 15:29:37 -0400, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> > > On a different track of investigation, the  output of "amadmin
> > > CONFIG balance" might show something useful (though off hand it
> > > seems unlikely
> >
> > Also, "amadmin CONFIG due".
> >
> >                                                     Nathan
> So I used this to lookup the overdues.

Yes, good.

> My first impression is that the directory is locked as if they are
> locked from access by amgtar:

Why do you think that's the problem?

> From a root shell on this machine, the server: after
> making /etc/amandates amanda:disk from a shell on that machine:
> root@coyote:/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily# su
> amanda -c "/usr/local/sbin/amcheck Daily"
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> NOTE: Holding disk '/usr/dumps': 641240 MB disk space available, using
> 640740 MB
> Searching for label 'Dailys-27':found in slot 27: volume 'Dailys-27'
> Will write to volume 'Dailys-27' in slot 27.
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Server check took 1.473 seconds
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: shop: [can not read/write /var/amanda/amandates: Permission denied
> (ruid:63998 euid:63998)
> Client check: 5 hosts checked in 3.280 seconds.  1 problem found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.5.1)
[...]>
> So it looks as if I need to check for similar missfits on other machines,
> and this should fix the Overdue reports for that machine. But why didn't
> amcheck yell about that before now? It hasn't, so thats a hellofagood ?

You can see that amcheck actually does complain when the amandates
permissions are wrong, so off hand the fact that amcheck didn't
complain earlier makes me thinks that's not the true reason these DLEs
haven't been backed up.

I would say look carefully through your Amanda Mail Reports and/or
amdump.DATETIMESTAMP files for the past 20 days to see if there is any
mention of what's happening with those DLEs....

> All this is the debian way the client is installed.

(Obviously this is not the way the Debian-distribution packages install
things, but rather the way you have built Amanda yourself and then
intalled it on your Debian-running client machines....  [The normal
Debian packages use "backup" as the owner.])

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239