Hi Folks,

My thanks to the guys that helped me. You know who you are -- Austin, Gene,
Stefan, Nathan.

My problem with vtapes was that the name of the slots, "slot..." was not
arbitrary, or at least not arbitrary on my part. I fixed that, and backups are
happening as we speak. Beers all 'round. I now have a bit of breathing room,
and I can review ALL the "HowTo"s, which is a pretty good place to start.

So, now I have a couple of "clean-up" questions to conclude this thread: vtape
labels: Are these just an artifact of the tape heritage, meaning, How is the
label any more restrictive/protective than the path to and filename of the
vtape? It's not like you can inadvertently mount the wrong directory, is
it?Well, actually, in the case of my NAS configuration, I guess that is
possible, but unlikely except in the case of some sort of NAS failure and
recovery. Is there a discussion somewhere describing how these are used and
what sort of failures they can prevent in the vtape world?

And back to my original question about "per-clent configuration", I recognize
that I will effectively be running N copies of AMANDA, and none of them will be
aware of the others. I think this means that I have defeated the scheduler. I
don't want to do that. It occurs to me that AMANDA does not know what any other
copies are doing, which means that they could ALL schedule level 0 on the same
night! I think I'd like to change my design from per-client configs in separate
directories, to per-client qualified definitions in one amanda.conf. I see
artifacts in various examples that lead me to believe that this can be done,
and is probably preferable to my current scheme, because I then would have only
one copy of AMANDA running and there can be a more sensible schedule. I'm most
interested -- in fact, I am probably only interested -- that each client be
able to direct backup storage to a location specific to that client.

Can anybody show me an example of several per-client configs in a single
amanda.conf?

Thanks for the help,
--
Chris.