On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 11:23:44AM -0800, Chris Miller wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My thanks to the guys that helped me. You know who you are -- Austin, Gene,
> Stefan, Nathan.
>
> My problem with vtapes was that the name of the slots, "slot..." was not
> arbitrary, or at least not arbitrary on my part. I fixed that, and backups
> are happening as we speak. Beers all 'round. I now have a bit of breathing
> room, and I can review ALL the "HowTo"s, which is a pretty good place to
> start.
>
> So, now I have a couple of "clean-up" questions to conclude this thread:
> vtape labels: Are these just an artifact of the tape heritage, meaning, How
> is the label any more restrictive/protective than the path to and filename of
> the vtape? It's not like you can inadvertently mount the wrong directory, is
> it?Well, actually, in the case of my NAS configuration, I guess that is
> possible, but unlikely except in the case of some sort of NAS failure and
> recovery. Is there a discussion somewhere describing how these are used and
> what sort of failures they can prevent in the vtape world?

It is more restrictive/specific than a path to the vtape.
Some sites use portable drives and rotate them off-site.
So the same "slots" are used for many different vtapes.

My own setup has /amanda on the root filesystem.
Under /amanda are directories "Holding", "Storage", and
Slots.  A dedicated disk is mounted on "Holding".
Under Storage are six directories "D1" to "D6".  My six
dedicated vtape storage disks are mounted there.

Slots contains mostly symbolic links to the vtapes under
Storage.  230+ vtapes whose naming is DS1-### and matches
the numeric part of the Slot name.  I.e. slot28 is a
symbolic link to /Storage/D1/DS1-028.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)