> On Nov 14, 2018, at 2:04 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 14 November 2018 14:03:56 Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 01:06:48PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> First a snip/paste of my 3 new del's as I try to split a big one up:
>>> line entry
>>> 28 coyote /home/gene/PublicA/ Publicag {
>>> 29  comp-coyote-tar
>>> 30  include "./[a-g]*"
>>> 31  exclude "./[h-z]*"
>>> 32  } 1 local
>>> 33
>>
>> Chris already got the syntax error.
>>
>> I'll just note you do not need both the include
>> and the exclude lines.  The "include" says these
>> are the only things to backup.
>>
>> If "comp-coyote-tar" has any common excludes (like
>> temp files or ???) the exclude above would replace
>> them.  If you want to retain the excludes, you may
>> want to make them "exclude append" to add to any
>> default exclude.
>>
>> What if you create a "Gene" or a "123go" or a ".save"
>> file or directory under PublicA?  Your 3 DLEs would
>> not back them up.  I usually add a "catchall" DLE.
>>
>> In your case it might be:
>>> 28 coyote PublicMisc /home/gene/PublicA/ {
>>> 29  comp-coyote-tar
>>> 31  exclude "./[a-z]*"
>>> 32  } 1 local
>>
>> Jon
>
> Probably a good idea now that  you mention it Jon, there are some files
> that start with numbers.
>
> Are the alpha's case sensitive?
>
> Meaning should I make one for include "./[0-9]*" "./[A-Z]*" perhaps?
> Something like:
>
> coyote PublicA09AZ /home/gene/PublicA {
>       comp-coyote-tar
>       include "./[0-9]*" "./[A-Z]*"
>       ] 1 local
>
> to cover everything else? Done.

Yes, they are case sensitive.   If you have only a few numbers of capital
letters,  they
make perfect candidates for that Misc data set.  You really DO need to have
that,  in case you
dump a file there later that doesn’t fit any of the “include”  rules you’ve
remembered to use.

Also,  a tar backup fails  (for me)  if it has NO contents.  So you need to
save a few things,
like the numbers or capitals letters,  that really do already exist — so that
the Misc set
isn’t empty.

Deb Baddorf