Hi Charles,

> I think the simplest solution to your problem is to take Gene's advice
> and run the three backups in sequence, using a simple shell script.
> That is what I do. All these issues go away.

I don't think I understand your advice, via Gene.

To refresh your memory, I have three configs for three clients which
effectively backup each to it's own vtape pool:
        c0.tclc.org --> nas0.tclc.org
        c1.tclc.org --> nas1.tclc.org
        c2.tclc.org --> nas2.tclc.org

I am working with a one week backup cycle -- seven backups, during which each
of the three clients must complete a level 0 backup.

If I run three backups, serial or otherwise, then do they know about each
other? Meaning, is AMANDA smart enough to know not to run more than one level 0
dump per night? The problem is that level 0 backups take several hours and if I
run multiple then I will still be completing last nights backup when everybody
comes in the next morning. That would be embarrassing. "Sorry, I didn't
complete my work last night, so you can't continue yours."

It seems like I should be able to combine my several configs into a single
config so AMANDA will actually know the full scope of the problem and schedule
accordingly, but I don't understand enough of the configuration discipline to
describe multiple DLE --> vtape mappings to run in a single AMANDA execution. I
think this comes from "disklist" having a list, but amanda.conf having only one
tapedev. Even if there were latitude to define multiple tapedev, I don't see
syntax that would map a set of DLEs to each tapedev. For example, can I specify
the "disklist" in the definition of the tapedev? Unfortunately "man tapedev"
does not produce anything. Is there, for example a BNF definition of syntax for
tapedev anywhere?

Thanks for the help, Charles.
--
Chris.