From: owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org <owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org> On Behalf
Of Charles Curley
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:31 PM
To: amanda-users <amanda-users@amanda.org>
Subject: Re: Configuration confusion

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or
click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 09:03:00 -0800 (PST) Chris Miller <c...@tryx.org> wrote:

> If I run three backups, serial or otherwise, then do they know about
> each other? Meaning, is AMANDA smart enough to know not to run more
> than one level 0 dump per night? The problem is that level 0 backups
> take several hours and if I run multiple then I will still be
> completing last nights backup when everybody comes in the next
> morning. That would be embarrassing. "Sorry, I didn't complete my work
> last night, so you can't continue yours."

Ah, that helps. My experience is in a SOHO environment, so take with the salt
shaker handy.

The different configurations don't know about each other at all. So you could
in theory have a night in which all three run level 0 backups.
The only way I know to get that kind of co-ordination is to have one
configuration which then backs up all three machines. Unfortunately your
requirement not to mix the backups due to custodial and security requirements
may kill that idea.

Another thing to look at is to break your DLEs up into lots of smaller DLEs.
You'll get more level 0 backups, but they'll be spread around the week more
evenly.

Or consider having a longer tape cycle. That means fewer level 0 backups in any
one week.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of the word
to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but the true distinction