On Monday 26 November 2018 15:14:51 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 14:15:41 -0500, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> > That makes more sense. I've set it to 10 and inparallel to 2 and
> > we'll see how it goes tonight.
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM Cuttler, Brian R (HEALTH)
> >
> > <brian.cutt...@health.ny.gov> wrote:
> > > I believe maxdumps is max concurrent dumps across all clients.
> > >
> > > You might have 10 clients each with an inparallel of 2, giving 20
> > > possible concurrent dumps, but because of server limitations you
> > > might set maxdumps to something between 2 and 20.
>
> Actually, it is the other way around: when you kick off amdump, the
> driver retrieves the "inparallel" configuration option and then starts
> up that number of dumper subprocesses -- so "inparallel" controls the
> total number of dumpers available for the whole run.
>
> In contrast, the amanda.conf man page section on maxdumps says:  "The
> maximum number of backups from a single host that Amanda will attempt
> to run in parallel." So that controls how many (out of the
> "inparallel" total dumpers available) might simultaneously run on one
> host at the same time.
>
> (Maxdumps defaults to 1 to avoid two dumpers on the same client
> competing with each other for disk I/O [or worse, thrashing the disk
> heads by interweaving reads from different places on the device], CPU
> [e.g. for compression], and/or network bandwidth.  This seems likely
> to be a reasonable default, though I guess if you had multiple
> physical disk devices each of which was relatively slow compared to
> CPU and network bandwidth then it would make sense to run more than
> one dump at a time.  But I'd do careful testing to make sure that's
> not actually slowing down the overall dump.)
>

>                                                       Nathan

AIUI, this is where the "spindle" number in your DLE comes into play, and
unless that particular client has more than 1 active disk, it should
remain at 1.  Now if like some, you have /home on a separate drive from
the root filesystem, you may find it helpfull to put a 2 in those DLEs
that are on that clients 2nd drive, and it should then run two dumpers
in independent dumps on THAT client.

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2018 by Maurice E. Heskett
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)