On Sun, 12 May 2019 03:27:54 +0000
Chris Hassell <chris.hass...@betsol.com> wrote:

> Try the branch "3_5".  That has build fixes that should let it work
> more easily.
>
> All you need:

I did a "make distclean" first. Then:

>     % git checkout -b 3_5my_branch origin/3_5

That complained:

charles@amanda:~/amanda$ git checkout -b 3_5my_branch origin/3_5
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
checkout:
        config/config.guess
        config/config.sub
        config/install-sh
Please commit your changes or stash them before you switch branches.
Aborting
charles@amanda:~/amanda$

I removed the offending files, and that was fine. Am I incorrect in
assuming that "make distclean" should remove everything not managed by
the git repo?

>     % bash autogen && ./packaging/deb/buildpkg

That revealed two unmet dependencies, docbook-xsl and xsltproc. I added
those to my script.

I now get

dh_fixperms -v >> /home/charles/amanda/build/debian/dpkg.log 2>&1
# fix perms manually
chown -R amandabackup:disk debian/*/var/lib/*
chown: invalid user: ‘amandabackup:disk’
debian/rules:122: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
charles@amanda:~/amanda$

I can add those to my script. However, I wonder: the traditional
debian user is backup:backup. Should we not be using that?

Also, I noticed some messages about g_thread_* functions being
deprecated. I have already handled those for another application. If
you haven't already done so, shall I take a stab at it?

And with that, it looks like I'm there.

 dpkg-genbuildinfo
 dpkg-genchanges  >../amanda_3.5.1.git.19364c7b-1Debian99_amd64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: info: including full source code in upload
 dpkg-source --after-build build
dpkg-buildpackage: info: full upload; Debian-native package (full source is
included)
charles@amanda:~/amanda$

I have a tarball, and four .deb packages. No amanda common package?

With that, my setup script now looks like:

# A script to build out a minimal installation of debian such that we
# can build amanda on it. Much of this is installing tools.

# We install no editors.

# This should get you through ./autogen.
apt install git autogen automake libglib2.0-dev

# And this for ./configure && make.
apt install make dpkg-dev debhelper dump flex gettext gnuplot libtool bsd-mailx
mtx smbclient libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev libssl-dev
bison swig docbook-xsl xsltproc

# Add the user that the build process expects. Oddly enough, it isn't
# backup:backup, the user that the debian package builds. I'm going to
# make this a regular user for now....

# To remove, "deluser --remove-home amandabackup".

adduser --disabled-password amandabackup
adduser amandabackup disk

if [ ! -d /home/amandabackup/.ssh ] ; then
    echo Copying .ssh for user amandabackup
    cp -rp /root/.ssh /home/amandabackup
    chown -R amandabackup:amandabackup /home/amandabackup/.ssh
fi

And I'm not sure I need the .ssh in there. Does amanda ever use that
user?

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but