Matt wrote:

>> Then you may need a crap load of memory!
>> How many amavis* directories are there? A large number may indicate a
>> problem.

> About 20?  The directory never gets above 2 or 3 megs though, as long as
> the razor-agent.log is wiped.  Thats why I want to know how to turn it off
> :)

This looks good. Usually one directory for each child process. A few
left over is both typical and insignificant.

>> lookup_ldap: 3861 (51%) (4 seconds) I personally don't use LDAP so I
>> have no idea how to improve this, or if this is as good as it gets.
>> But this is obviously where amavisd-new spends half its time.

> Ahhh ... so we need a better pool of LDAP servers.  Yeah, our LDAP servers
> are overloaded.

>> SA check: 3215 (42%) (3 seconds - looks OK)

> Thanks :)

ldap-prepare: 5 (0%)0,
SMTP EHLO: 5 (0%)0,
SMTP pre-MAIL: 5 (0%)0,
mkdir tempdir: 1(0%)0,
create email.txt: 1 (0%)0,
ldap-connect: 17 (0%)0,
lookup_ldap: 3861 (51%)51,
SMTP pre-DATA-flush: 4 (0%)51,
SMTP DATA: 189 (2%)54,
body_hash: 2 (0%)54,
gen_mail_id: 1 (0%)54,
mkdir parts: 1 (0%)54,
mime_decode: 14 (0%)54,
get-file-type1: 21 (0%)54,
parts_decode: 1 (0%)54,
AV-scan-1: 15 (0%)55,
spam-wb-list: 42 (1%)55,
SA msg read: 1 (0%)55,
SA parse: 3 (0%)55,
SA check: 3215 (42%)98,
update_cache: 2 (0%)98,
deal_with_mail_size: 1 (0%)98,
fwd-connect: 13 (0%)98,
fwd-mail-from: 6 (0%)98,
fwd-rcpt-to: 14 (0%)98,
write-header: 4 (0%)98,
fwd-data: 0 (0%)98,
fwd-data-end: 100 (1%)100,
fwd-rundown: 2 (0%)100,
main_log_entry: 24 (0%)100,
update_snmp: 1 (0%)100,
unlink-1-files: 2 (0%)100,
rundown: 0 (0%)100

Your timing results show that amavisd-new really
does not spend much time at all decoding messages. I'm sure others will
disagree, but considering this, I personally would avoid the additional
risk that comes with using tmpfs.