Matt wrote:

> Hi all,

> We're getting some user complaints of spam and they all seem to follow the
> same general template.

> Something like this:

> ---snip---
> nicky

> http://uk.geocities.com/Hyman_Barrientos/?Wn=Seek_quick.and_effective.cures
> ---snip---

> After which they have some random words at the end (random english
> dictionary words).  Some of them don't.

> A lot of these are making it to the quarantine but some of them aren't
> even getting a positive score.  Is there a rule out there I can find, or
> possibly an additional blacklist I can add on top of the default (razor)?
> I'm not a big fan of blacklists but as long as we're only just "tagging"
> spam (and not deleting it) and the blacklist is fairly conservative, I
> wouldn't mind allowing it to add some points to messages.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Make sure you set:
$sa_local_tests_only = 0; in amavisd.conf. Otherwise SpamAssassin will
not perform network tests (Razor included). I think you are using
FreeBSD, so there should be a /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
file. This file normally will contain:
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF

If you did not install from ports, then it might be in
/etc/mail/spamassassin

Verify that init.pre exists in the same place you have local.cf and at
the very least 'loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL' is
there.

You might consider using Pyzor. It is slower than some of the other
tests (only one server) and it has made a bit of a mess on some
machines when the Pyzor server was unavailable. The author will change
the server on occasion, so it may be a good idea to make sure the
server is up by maybe doing a 'pyzor ping' in a cron job, with the
result mailed to you.

If you use ports, it should be there: /usr/ports/mail/pyzor

install, then run both:
pyzor discover
and
su vscan -c 'pyzor discover'
(pyzor discover provides pyzor the IP address of the Pyzor server)

then 'pyzor ping' to see if the Pyzor server is up

run
su vscan -c 'spamassassin --lint -D'
and you should see
debug: Pyzor: got response: 66.250.40.33:24441  (200, 'OK')     0       0
if all is working well.
I don't think you even need to reload amavisd-new.

DCC is very good, but as an ISP, and due to the volume of mail
you receive, and due to the license, I believe you would need to run
the DCC server (dccd I think) on one of your machines and then provide
your data (flood your data) to the main servers. At least something to
that effect, I think. You would have to study how to set this up.

If you don't have $sa_local_tests_only = 0; set, then this would be
the main problem. An email like this should hit on a couple of the
networks tests, with URIDNSBL the most likely to help. There is not
much for SpamAssassin to key on if network test are not performed.