On Dec 9, 2005, at 04:49 , Joachim Schoenberg wrote:

Hello Dale,

2. configure finds user "www" in /etc/passwd,
   but in fact the user is "wwwrun".
   So "make" complains about missing user "www" later.
   I used --with-user, but I thing configure does wrong parsing.

If it's finding www in /etc/passwd then the user is in it.

No, it isn't.
Only "wwwrun" is there.
If "www" would exist "make" would not complain about
missing user www later.

You state that configure finds user www in /etc/passwd, if the user
is not there then it shouldn't find it.

I set a default user (www) if this is not the user your web server
runs under then you use the user/group of the user that does.

OK, that's clear, but the problem was:
configure seems to find that user even if doesn't exist.

do:
cat /etc/passwd | grep www

 and see what it's matching on.

Since I am unable to duplicate this problem I can't see where the
problem is.

I repeated my installation:
configure says
Checking for user/group
checking for www in /etc/passwd... yes, user www and group www exist.

configure includes that code:
webuser=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $web_user`

Yes, I see now, a regular grep, needs refinement, I'm extremely busy however, if someone has a solution for the various methods of user checking I'd be happy to add it as soon as time permits.

My webuser is "wwwrun" which is the default for SuSE for a long time.
So asking for "www" with grep that way will give a positive result.

Alternately you can just change the group to wwwrun's group and it
should work too.

Yes, I think that's better because there is no need changing
ownerships for some amavis-stats directories.

One hint: you had written somewhere you would add a
command line option in 0.1.19 to configure for non standard mail logs
(/var log/mail in my case). This option is still missing.

do
./configure

when it's done edit configure.in and change:
scan_log_file="/var/log/amavis.log"

to:
AC_ARG_WITH(log-file,
[  --with-log-file        logfile to read (default=/var/log/amavis.log)],
scan_log_file=$withval, scan_log_file="/var/log/amavis.log")

save it.

issue:
make clean

./configure --help

Optional Features:
--disable-FEATURE do not include FEATURE (same as --enable- FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --enable-id-check       use id utility instead of /etc/passwd parsing
--enable-yp-check use ypmatch utility instead of /etc/passwd parsing --enable-netinfo-check use netinfo utility instead of /etc/passwd parsing
  --disable-startup       disable startup item
  --disable-web   disable test for web user/group
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
--enable-dependency-tracking do not reject slow dependency extractors

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
--without-PACKAGE do not use PACKAGE (same as --with- PACKAGE=no)
  --with-log-file         logfile to read (default=/var/log/amavis.log)
  --with-user=uid         name of the web user (default=www)
  --with-group=gid        name of the web group (default=www)

that should take care of the problem.

Thanks

Joe