On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 21:38 -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> Has anyone looked at a SA/AMAVIS/mysql setup with dual core vs dual
> Xeons?

I wasn't going to answer, because I don't know how much I *don't* know
about his, but seeing as no one has I'll give it a shot.  Intel's
implementation of dual core (at least on Pentium 4 and Xeon) is pretty
much two CPUs in one package.  They still connect to the northbridge
individually, i.e. they still share the bandwidth of the FSB.  Thus I
don't think there should be any difference between the performance of a
dual Xeon setup and a single dual core Xeon.

If you were talking Opteron, a dual CPU might outperform a dual core
slightly, simply because the Opterons CPUs each have it's own memory
bank to itself, so a dual core is sharing one memory interface between
cores (where Xeons share it either ways so there's no gain).  I don't
know what sort of gain we're talking about tho - depends on how memory
intensive amavisd-new is.  But if you're running a RAM disk, it might
just be substantial

> Any throughput differences in message processing? Especially with a full
> rule set (including SARE's rules)?

I would imagine just make sure you have enough memory.

Hans