> here we are :O)

>> Provide results from these:
> ls -l /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf
> 28 /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf
> ls -l /etc/amavisd.conf
> 0 /etc/amavisd.conf
> it's a symlink
> grep amavisd.conf /etc/init.d/amavisd
> prog_config_file="/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf"

> I guess they are right.

I guess they are too. Not that it matters now, but I was looking for
the actual output, not an interpretation. I will have to assume
/etc/amavisd.conf is symlinked to /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf which
would be a good thing.

I don't see any real problem with what is happening. As far as the
debug output goes, it looks like SpamAssassin is functioning with
amavisd-new, so it still provides no real clue as to why amavisd is
crashing. It might be possible that the amavisd.conf supplied with the
RPM is corrupt (some odd character is in there somewhere). If so, I
would consider using the one supplied with the original amavisd after
I transferred all my settings over to it.

I also installed a similar RPM on my test system, and noticed that
permissions were not the usual recommended 0750, but instead 0700.
So, I would:

chmod -R 0750 /var/spool/amavisd/

Also, check the home directory of the amavis user. On my system I
show from a previous install:
amavis:x:999:999:amavisd-new daemon:/var/amavis:/bin/bash

but now that I've installed the RPM, the supplied amavisd.conf has set

$MYHOME   = '/var/spool/amavisd';

Which means I now need to change the home directory of the amavis user
to:

amavis:x:999:999:amavisd-new daemon:/var/spool/amavisd:/bin/bash

> debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB R/O:
> /var/spool/amavisd/.spamassassin/bayes_toks

To create the initial Bayes database for the amavis user I use:
su amavis -c 'sa-learn --sync'
or
sudo -H -u amavis sa-learn --sync
If the amavis user does not get shell access.

Check any paths you may have set in local.cf. If you have old entries
pointing to directories that are no longer correct, you may need to
modify them.

>  Razor-Log: No /var/spool/amavisd/.razor/razor-agent.conf found, skipping.
>  Razor-Log: No razor-agent.conf found, using defaults.

If your amavis user has shell access (use sudo if not), I would run:
su amavis -c 'razor-admin -create'
and
su amavis -c 'razor-admin -register'
(you will probably get an error the first time you run this -
simply run it again if you do)

Then edit /var/spool/amavisd/.razor/razor-agent.conf and set the
debuglevel  0
so you don't fill up your hard drive with the razor log.
If that file does not exist, then don't create it, you should instead
find /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf which you would edit instead.

> debug: Pyzor ->> check failed: no response

run
su amavis -c 'pyzor discover'
to make sure pyzor knows where to look for a server.

> /var/spool/amavisd/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.virgilio.servers.draksoft.com.4774
> debug: lock: 4774 trying to get lock on

Consider using
lock_method flock
in local.cf

Read the SpamAssassin documentation to see if it is appropriate in
your case:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#miscellaneous_options