Michael,

> was 'clean-archive' supposed to archive the disclaimed (mangled) email?
> or original email?

Stores the original mail, with some informational header fields prepended.

> which one did it send?  logs shows another size sent: (and this email,
> what was at bottom? was it 0, 1 or two disclaimers?)

Amavisd log show the original mail size, as received from MTA.

Postfix log for a re-entry service would show size of a modified mail.

> which one SHOULD it archive? (i suggest if legal reasons require the
> disclaimer, we archive the email that went out, not the email the user
> sent? any lawyers in the house?

It would conceptually contradict the purpose of a quarantine,
which is to preserve original mail as much as possible, including
its defects, to make to it possible to diagnose problems or to
demonstrate to the sender what junk was he sending.

I understand you would prefer to store modified mail.
I think you can use always_bcc for that and let MTA keep a copy.

It would be possible to do an equivalent of always_bcc (adding
an extra recipient) by amavisd itself. I'll look into it.