On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:12:15PM +0200, alex handle wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Christian Rost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > alex handle schrieb:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Does someone have experience with running amavisd-new as
> > > before-queue-filter?
> > > I want to reject spam at the smtp level, because it is far more
> > transparent
> > > for the sender.
> > >
> > > On top days we process 250 000 mails per day, running amavisd-new
> > > with spamassassin, clamav and amavis unpackers disabled on a two-node
> > > cluster.
> > >
> > > Are there any performance considerations?
> > >
> > > My system allready rejects 60 - 75 % with smtp_recipient_restrictions,
> > > policyd-weight and DNSBLs.
> > >

> So you get up to 250 000 mails per day for existing email-addresses, don't
> > you?
>

> 60 - 75 % from the 250 000 mails are rejected at the smtp level.
>
> Is greylisting an option for you, to further reduce spam?
> >

> Does it still help at all?

Depends. I'd say yes.
Greylisting becomes kind of a must have.
The more Greylisting is globally in use the more time it takes that spammers
appear on blacklists.
So you should use greylisting in order to error out that timing-problem.

> Maybe i try
> http://marmarek.w.staszic.waw.pl/~marmarek/download/os-greylist.pl.
> Greylisting based on the OS!

policyd-weight soon will utilize p0f (resp. p0f-analyzer.pl), too.
Plus a way to call a postfix restriction class (greylist, for instance) at
certain criteria (like p0f results). This is work in slow progress, though.

> It runs with a db file, not necessarily fine for a nfs based cluster!

You should use greylister which can listen on an inet socket, this way you
don't need a NFS shared db.

--
    Robert Felber (PGP: 896CF30B)
    Munich, Germany