> The default setting is $final_bad_header_destiny=D_PASS .
> If you see mail being blocked by header checks, it must be
> because you have explicitly overridden the default in
> your amavisd.conf.

Ah, I must have then.  Okay, I'm beginning to see the flow of things now.
Very IPTABLES like.

> Do not be misled by the fact that default setting is also
> to quarantine a mail with a bad header (i.e. a copy goes
> to a guarantine, but mail is passed to recipients nevertheless).
> To avoid quarantining mail with bad headers, it must be turned off
> explicitly, as shown above.

This was one thing that I didn't find intuitive.  When would someone want
something quarantined while it was delivered anyway?

> Btw, it is also posible to be more selective and just disable some
> of the header checks subtests, e.g. $allowed_header_tests{'8bit'} = 0;

I assume the logs will show what part of the header failed so that I could
flip off that switch?  If I wanted to whitlist a particular domain, is
there a check_maps I could use to do that instead?

Back to the spam still being quarantined:

here's some log entries:

Sep 20 13:56:34 wopr amavis[27296]: (27296-02) do_notify_and_quarantine:
spam level exceeds quarantine cutoff level 10

Sep 20 13:56:35 wopr amavis[27296]: (27296-02) Blocked SPAM,
[189.142.141.237] [189.142.141.237] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ->
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, quarantine: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Message-ID:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mail_id: udQjw39pAJbo, Hits: 39.67,
20288 ms

Here are my settings:
$sa_tag_level_deflt  = -9999;
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 5;