Ian,

> > Do not be misled by the fact that default setting is also
> > to quarantine a mail with a bad header (i.e. a copy goes
> > to a guarantine, but mail is passed to recipients nevertheless).
> > To avoid quarantining mail with bad headers, it must be turned off
> > explicitly, as shown above.
>
> This was one thing that I didn't find intuitive.

I agree it can be puzzling. I keep it this way for historical continuity
and to maintain upwards compatibility. Quarantining was always completely
independent from passing/blockig mail, with its own set of controls.
It makes it possible for example to use a $clean_quarantine_method
for similar purposes as $archive_quarantine_method, except that it
would not save junk and malware to a clean quarantine.

> When would someone want something quarantined while it was delivered anyway?

For archive?  Or to see what silly header mistakes some mailers put
in their mail, and help diagnose and fix them, but still keep the
mail flowing normally.

> > Btw, it is also posible to be more selective and just disable some
> > of the header checks subtests, e.g. $allowed_header_tests{'8bit'} = 0;
>
> I assume the logs will show what part of the header failed so that
> I could flip off that switch?

Not by default, although you could modify the $log_templ to show it
(using macro [:ccat|minor] when [:ccat|major] indicates bad header).

A log at level 2 does show the reason, e.g.:

(64562-12) check_header: 8, Duplicate header field: "Message-ID"

(19083-16-2) check_header: 5, Header line longer than
  998 characters: Content-Type:\\n text/html;GB23...

Another option is to look into a quarantined copy of a mail
with bad header, which does state the reason:

> If I wanted to whitlist a particular domain, is
> there a check_maps I could use to do that instead?

Yes, by-recipients setting is available:

@bypass_header_checks_maps = ( list of lookup tables as usual );

There is no fine-grained subtest selection on a by-recipient basis.
Also, there is no by-sender setting.

> Back to the spam still being quarantined:
>
> here's some log entries:
>
> Sep 20 13:56:34 wopr amavis[27296]: (27296-02) do_notify_and_quarantine:
> spam level exceeds quarantine cutoff level 10
>
> Sep 20 13:56:35 wopr amavis[27296]: (27296-02) Blocked SPAM,
> [189.142.141.237] [189.142.141.237] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ->
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, quarantine: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Message-ID:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mail_id: udQjw39pAJbo, Hits: 39.67,
> 20288 ms

Archival quarantine works independently of mail content type:

- added configuration variables @archive_quarantine_to_maps and
  $archive_quarantine_method, allowing for archival quarantine of all mail
  (configurable by recipient and by policy banks) regardless of its contents
  category. This archive is independent from other quarantining, i.e. if
  spam quarantining and archival quarantining are both enabled, two copies
  will be stored to quarantine. When quarantining for archive one has two
  choices: archive_quarantine would store all mail addressed to recipient,
  whereas enabling clean quarantine as in:
    $quarantine_method_by_ccat{+CC_CLEAN} = 'local:clean-%m';
    $quarantine_to_maps_by_ccat{+CC_CLEAN} = 'clean-quarantine';
  would quarantine only clean mail, no spam, no viruses, no banned, no badh.

  Note that logging to SQL has only one field to store quarantine location,
  so in case of multiple quarantine locations only the first is remembered.
  The usual logging however reports all quarantine locations with the main
  log entry.

If you'd prefer to archive only clean messages, use a clean_quarantine*
equivalent, or some other combination of spam/virus/badh/banned quarantines.