On 1/16/08, Rocco Scappatura wrote:

> >> Thanks. But, it must exists at least a policy so that messages are
> >> filtered for spam?
>
> > I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to create the read only
> > tables.
>
> Sorry. For RO tables I mean the following tables:
>
> + users
> + mailaddr
> + wblist
> + policy

Right, that is what I understood you to mean.

> > These following settings cannot be undefined (undef) if you want to
> > quarantine to them, so I suggest leaving them at their default values.
> > Setting them to undef means mail will not get quarantined (to each
> > respective content type).
> >
> > # $virus_quarantine_to  = 'virus-quarantine';
> > # $banned_quarantine_to     = 'banned-quarantine';
> > # $bad_header_quarantine_to = 'bad-header-quarantine';
> > # $spam_quarantine_to       = 'spam-quarantine';
> >
> > Then, for instance, with no recipient in SQL, spam should get
> > quarantined at $sa_kill_level_default.
>
> So I think it is just that the mistake: I have not set no one of the above
> variable. And this has caused that no filtering has been applied.

If you have not set those variables, then they are at the defaults. If
they are at the defaults, then this is NOT the problem. You would have
had to deliberately set them to undef. If they are set to undef, then
you get nothing in quarantine.

> But, when I not use SQL for quarantine I have not set no one of the
> variable above as well, and filtering works. Why?

Define what you mean by filtering. Do you mean malware is sent to
quarantine? The default for those settings is to quarantine to local
files. If using SQL, those defaults are also fine. SQL won't
quarantine to files once you turn it on however, it should quarantine
to the SQL database, provided the method is correctly set.

> > Also, remember that spam that scores at or above
> > $sa_quarantine_cutoff_level will not get quarantined, so check that
> > setting too.
>
> Yes, I do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> rocsca

What is your $sa_kill_level_deflt set to? How are you testing?
Sometimes you might be sending test messages from inside your network
(or from an authenticated user) and end up allowing them to pass due
to a policy bank, or other bypass mechanism. Send a test spam from
outside your network.