> From: Jo Rhett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [AMaViS-user] how many people really use the quarantine?
>
> I'm curious, how many people really use amavisd to quarantine messages?

We do systematically at our site. We quarantine both viruses (we don't
receive many) and spam (Spamassassin spam amounts currently to about 40%
of our incoming traffic, 35% are good mail, and the rest is spam rejected
by other means ; the spam rate used to be even higher when we started,
it decreased when we abandoned our former domain). We quarantine in a
single daily folder (not per user) on both our incoming servers, and
rotate the folders for a week.

We have a crontab which lists the subject and origin of quarantined
messages and send a single mail per day to each user who has received
spam, so he can apply to the system manager to recover an eventual false
positive.

As far as I know the rate of false positives is extremely low, one in
several months.

> And why is this better than tagging the messages and sorting them
> into the Junk folder of the recipient?

Because users would be annoyed to go through such folders (and it would be
additional work to set up each account that way, and to dispose of them
somehow via crontabs or other personal means). Before using
spamassassin/amavis we had DNSBL's centrally and I had extensive
additional procmail filtering on my own. Since we moved to the new
configuration there is less work for all, and I'm very happy with it.